Re: Newbie: Problems installing 8i - TNSNames Listener error

From: Karsten Farell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 16:12:30 GMT

Fred Zimmerman wrote:
> I have just finished installing Oracle 8i (8.1.7) from CDs. I installed
> both the enterprise ed. and client disks.
>
> It failed on the step where it tried to create a database.
>
> I'm getting the following error in my Windows NT Event Log:
>
> The OracleOracleTNSListener service failed to start due to the following error:
> Access is denied

You have to be in the Administrator group. Some things to check: Have you tried to start the service manually (Start / Programs / Administrative Tools / Services)? Have you opened an MS-DOS window and typed 'lsnrctl start' or 'lsnrctl status' or 'lsnrctl services'?

> It appears that there is a Listener, and Names Server configured on my machine
> (I see them in Configuration Wizards.)

You can create a database (assuming everything else in the install went ok) after installation - use Database Configuration Assistant (off your Start menu).