Oracle Right or Wrong

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 16:16:49 +0100

Hi Mike,

or to put it bluntly :

"I run a business, I have questions, I need answers. So, I have a support contract with Oracle !"

        If you hang around on Linux NGs - you get a lot of Linux evangelists.

        If you hang around on Microsoft NGs - you get a lot of Microsoft evangelists.

        If you hang around on SQLServer NGs - you get a lot of SQLServer evangelists.

I'm beginning to see a pattern develop here :o)

So basically, in every section of humanity, there are :

	good guys
	bad guys
	helpfull people
	unhelpful people
	wankers
	total wankers
	others

When I was at school, there were certain teachers who would hurt the children in any way they could. (Cue Richard) There were otheres who couldn't help enough and had patience to stick with a problem no matter how long it took the kid to see the light. There were those who helped without being derogitory. And there were those who were downright nasty.

Bearing in mind than many of the queries posted here can be solved with a simple RTFM or a two minute searcgh of Gooigle groups, is it not understandable that some people get ratty ? Granted, it would be nice if we all had the time to answer every question, regardless of how often it has already been posted, but we have to earn a living somehow !

Netiquette demands that posters to *any* NG do the following :

RTFM
RTFFAQ
Check the archives
Make sure the poster has enough information to help his helpers ....

How many times do we see 'I installed Oracle and it doesn't work' type questions here ?

I like to think of myself as being a helper, but when the same old queries come over and over again, and it is plainly obvious that the poster has done no work at all, I don't get all shirty and post off a flame, I simply ignore the post. Others, in *any* NG I've ever lurked on, do the 'Mr Nasty' flaming - some of the best are on Windows.Advocacy wherever a troll drops by from the Linux area - or vice versa.

On the other hand, I know I've learned a hell of a lot from the experts in this NG, even been flamed from time to time myself - but I try not to let that happen too often :o)

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator