Re: Datafile for rollback segment

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 22:21:59 +1000

Hi Jayarman,

I performed this test on 9.2 (not 8.1.7 I know).

SQL> create tablespace rbs
  2 datafile 'c:\Bowie\rbs01.dbf' size 1m, 'c:\Bowie\rbs02.dbf' size 1m   3 uniform size 64k;

Tablespace created.

SQL> alter database datafile 'c:\Bowie\rbs01.dbf' offline;

Database altered.

SQL> create rollback segment rbs01
  2 tablespace rbs
  3 storage (initial 64K next 64K minextents 10);

Rollback segment created.

SQL> create rollback segment rbs02
  2 tablespace rbs
  3 storage (initial 64K next 64K minextents 20); create rollback segment rbs02
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01659: unable to allocate MINEXTENTS beyond 5 in tablespace RBS

So I had no problems creating a rollback segment initially and failing to create one if there's insufficient space in the remaining data file.

As it should be.

However ...

If you already have rollback segments created and online in the tablespace, your database would be in all sorts of trouble. Why ? Because by taking the datafile offline portions of the rollback segments effectively become unusable causing transactions and the such to crash. And as the offline is effectively an offline immediate, Oracle doesn't attempt a checkpoint so the datafile can only be brought back via a recovery. And as it contains an active rollback segment, you can only perform such a recovery with a closed (mounted) database.

Can fully test this on a 8.1.7 database at the moment but I suspect this is what is causing the grief.

Make sense ?

Cheers

Richard