Re: using SAN without a cluster

From: Jim Stern <jdstern_at_k2services.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 20:08:26 -0400

Sreejith,

The EMC SAN does support FDDI cards (at least 2 depending upon the model). You can have to options.

Option 1. Connect the EMC to both Superdomes, but do not mount the file systems on the second one, and then have a script to do the mounts when you detect a failure.

Option 2. Run the Superdomes to a FDDI hub and the hub to the EMC. This would allow you to add additional servers at a future date, then use the same script mention above to "fail over" the filesystem.

One final note, and company not willing to provide adequate and proper HA software for a mission critical system (and this is one, right?), is just look for a reason to go out of business, so keep great documentation on your concerns and the management's responses, because when this system fails, and it will, they are going to be looking to hang somebody, and it will a lot harder if you have an evidence trail to hang you!

Jim