Re: proper oracle hard drive config?

From: John Roberts <jroberts_at_bogus.sprintmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 23:06:56 GMT

"John" <jriker1_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e6bb5a8d.0210080753.52307f1e_at_posting.google.com...
> When I took my Oracle DBA classes a while ago, they listed in the
> backup and recovery class, the proper way to setup Oracle as far as
> hard drives, raid configuration, and number of raid cards. Can't seem
> to find that anymore. Assuming best case scenario, with Oracle 8i
> 8.1.7, can someone suggest the way to setup the different tablespaces
> between drives, and what raid config to have on each? Thanks.
>
> JR

As a starting point, look for information on the OFA - Optimal Flexible Architecture. There will be something on this in the Administrator's Reference. OFA is a datafile distribution scheme designed with both performance and recovery in mind. From a recovery viewpoint, you want to ensure that a media failure never results in the loss of BOTH tablespace datafiles AND archive logs. It's also best that you also segregate online logs and control files.

From a performance perspective, you want to spread the I/O workload among as many disk spindles as possible. You need to understand your applications to do a proper job of this. For example, you might want to identify your high activity tables and use the partitioning option to spread the I/O. Other measures to consider include locating redo log groups on alternating disks (so as to avoid having the ARCn process contend with the LGWR process).

Of course, once you introduce a storage array this greatly complicates the whole situation. Some arrays don't give the administrator much control over the physical placement of file systems and data files. In such cases, you need to get advice from the storage array vendor.

John Received on Tue Oct 08 2002 - 18:06:56 CDT