Re: Oracle Right or Wrong

From: Karsten Farell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 21:48:06 GMT

Mike Dwyer wrote:
> And I always do a goodle search myself prior to making an ass out of
> myself. I am not a follower of Larry or Bill. I just want a product
> that doesn't make my app crash or bump my head on its ceiling of
> limitation. I am very impressed about Oracle's capabilities in
> respect to this. But, Geeze, the hoops you have to jump through
> sometimes. Sequences & Triggers vs. Identity in MS. SQL*Plus vs. QA,
> etc. Like any true blooded American, I want the best of all worlds,
> delivered to my door along with my Starbucks--for free!. That's all.
> Is that too much to ask, I say?

Well, Oracle does have a very solid database ... works flawlessly (well, okay, most of the time) ... unless you happen to be on one of the hardware or software platforms that isn't in their QA lab ... but, of course, Oracle runs on *every* hardware platform (most of my time as an Oracle consultant was spent smoothing the ruffled feathers of some irate Oracle customer who spent big bucks to buy Oracle and now was sick and tired of installing daily patches because they happened to be on an SGI or running IBM MVS or hundreds of other "supported" platforms).

However, I have to say, I was burned more than once when using Sybase's iSQL (funny ... now Oracle has an iSQL, I think ... but they always were playing "catch-up" with innovative features the "other" databases thought of first). I can't tell you how many times I wanted a simple ROLLBACK statement (I know it can be set as a db parameter, but our DBAs didn't want to ... they had their reasons, I suppose). Having no ROLLBACK made me look very carefully at that WHERE clause before sending my DELETE off to Sybase.

I wish Oracle would implement their UPDATE statement like Sybase ... but I'm glad they don't make me type variable assignments like: 'select @variable = value'.

Ahh ... yes ... wishes. I'm with you ... can I get those wishes with a Starbucks too? I'd even be willing to pay a couple of bucks for them ... but then it wouldn't be mega-bucks Oracle, eh? Received on Tue Oct 08 2002 - 16:48:06 CDT