Online index build

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:09:54 -0400

Platform: Oracle 8.1.7.2 on AIX

I am getting an "ora-08108 may not build or rebuild this type of index online" on the following statement. Can anyone tell me why? The only restrictions on online index builds listed in the documentation or on Metalink have to do with IOTs and parallel DML. Neither is the case here. Action is a normal table. It seems to be because of the "desc" clause on the 2nd column. If I remove that it works find. Problem is I need it to be desc. The docs say nothing about online index builds only working with ASC columns.

CREATE INDEX mc.second_mem_nbr_date_idx ON mc.action   (
    secondary_member_nbr,
    ACTION_START_DATETIME desc
  ) ONLINE PARALLEL 4 Received on Tue Oct 08 2002 - 12:09:54 CDT