Re: 90GB table on Windows 2000

From: Jeff Kommers <kommers_at_ll.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 12:58:01 -0400

The index creation is an interesting problem that I've dealt with before in a very similar situation. Basically we had point-of-sale records and we had indexed on the date/time column and a transaction key column. It is a huge pain to have to re-index 3 billion rows, and the operation tends to fail owing to out-of-temp space problems.

Here's a suggestion that works if your data updates are incremental and don't affect any existing data (e.g. loading a new day of sales records in). Partition your table and indexes. You can use built-in features for this or "do-it-yourself" in the following way. Create a set of tables with identical schemas for each time period, e.g. "create table week1 (...); create table week2 (...);" etc. Then index each table separately. "create index idxweek1 on week1(...); create index idxweek2 on week2(...);" etc. Access your data through a view that is the union of your tables: "create view mydata as select * from week1 union all week2 union all ...." etc. It's pretty quick for the optimizer to find which table has the data relevant to a given query as long as it can use the index lookups. Now you can drop/create/index/whatever your data in weekly chunks that are much easier to manage. In particular, if you bulk-load a new day's worth
of data, then re-indexing the current week (maybe 60 million rows) of your 3 billion rows of data is much faster than re-indexing
*everything* just because you loaded one more day's data into your database.

Good luck

Jeff