Re: Export for Upgrade

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 23:35:06 +1000

Comments at end

"Chuck" <chuckh_at_softhome.net> wrote in message news:anulil$hn8oa$1_at_ID-85580.news.dfncis.de...

> "Jonathan Bliss" <bliss_jonathan_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Thanks for this, I'll give it a go. As for the import, if the 8.1.7
> 8import
> > won't read it, I don't see why I cannot add my windows box to my
tnsnames
> on
> > the Unix box and run the 7.2 import from the Unix box.
> >
> > Jonathan
> >

> You'd still need to be able to access the export file from the unix box so
> you'd either need to store the file locally, or use the same technique
(i.e.
> a named pipe) to pipe the data directly from the exp utility into the imp
> utility. Also if you do use the 7.2 import utility against an 8i database
> you are probably going to run into problems with imp not recognizing the
> catalog objects it needs. If it complains run the 7.2 catexp.sql script
> against the 8i database and try the import again. When finished be sure to
> rerun the 8i catexp script against it to put the catalog back the way it
> was.

Hi Chuck,

Ouch, not what I would recommend ....

Running the 7.2 export utility against the 8i database is the only way to go here. By definition, it will ensure only objects recognisable to the 7.2 database are exported, that's the whole point. What use is a Materialized View in 7.2 ?

I would strongly recommend against attempting your suggestion. It will only end in tears :(

Cheers

Richard Received on Tue Oct 08 2002 - 08:35:06 CDT