Re: Connection problem from applet to a oracle 8i server in shared mode

From: dmz17 <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 12:09:27 +0200

On Tue, 08 Oct 2002 15:18:23 +0530, Arijit Mukherjee wrote:

> All,
> I have a java applet from which I am trying to access an Oracle 8i
> server running on a different machine in shared mode. I am using a thin
> client to access the server. However, the server spits back to me the
> following exception:

> (java.net.SocketPermission <servername> resolve.
>
> However, I do not have any problem and can use the same jdbc
> connection if I use the server in dedicated mode.
>
> Could anybody suggest a way out for me. Thanks in anticipation,
> Regards,
> Arijit

You can't do this without signing the Applet, I believe.

In general, doing client/server using jdbc via a browser is a Java security no-no.

You could consider using http tunneling, except that will considerably complicate you architecture.

You could also consider writing an application, escpecially if this has to run on an intranet.

Cheers,

dmz17 Received on Tue Oct 08 2002 - 05:09:27 CDT