Re: switch from rule to cost based optimizer

From: Thorsten M. Wahl <twahl3_at_compuserve.de>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 10:37:43 +0200

Hello Richard.

First of all, thanks for the reply. This really helps me.

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:qIgo9.48100$g9.138416_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...

> Point 1 (and perhaps the most important). Ensure the statistics on all the
> objects in the database are current and accurate (enough). You don't
mention
> database version (naughty) so I'll just mention the DBMS_STATS package and

Oh, sorry, it's the 8.0.3 EE.

> it's various procedures and as probably the way to go. Make sure you
refresh
> the stats frequently enough to keep them current.

I think, it's a ggod idea to describe the database a little bit. I'm loading a lot of data into the tables and if there is time I do a few queries on these tables. After that, I remove every data from the tables again.

I think it's hard to keep the stats up to date for the temporary data. It would be best to update the stats at loadtime. (like DB2 voletail?)

I will check out the other infos you gave me. Thanks again.

> Point 7. Good Luck ;)

This is all I need. :-)

Thorsten Received on Tue Oct 08 2002 - 03:37:43 CDT