Connecting to server using SQLPlus through a gateway

From: Joe Sanderson <jsanderson_at_allenbrook.com>
Date: 7 Oct 2002 14:00:28 -0700

I have an Oracle 8i server set up at my house. I only have one IP address so I am using a hardware gateway to share Internet with my laptop and server. I have configured the gateway to open a port to the ftp services on the server and that is working without a problem. My problem is that when I try to open port 1521 for Oracle communication it isn't working. People from the outside world can tnsping my database, but not connect in SQL Plus. Does anyone know of any way I can make this happen?

The error users get when they try to connect is tns operation timed out. I have made some changes and set use_shared_sockets=true and then the error changes to tns connection closed. I'm not sure if one is worse than the other, but they both have the end result of not allowing anyone to connnect. There isn't any problem with authentication because I can connect to the server with my lan.

Any insight here is greatly appreciated. Received on Mon Oct 07 2002 - 16:00:28 CDT