Re: Export for Upgrade

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 13:24:55 -0400

Contrary to what one has said here, there is a way to FTP the export file to another server without consuming any local disk space on your unix server. Whether or not you can import it is another story. I do not know if the 8i import utility can read a 7.2 export file but it can't hurt to try. My guess would be it can but I have no 7.2 database to try it on.

  1. Create a named pipe. mkfifo ftpexp.dmp
  2. Run an ftp job in background similar to this. The "&" simply means "run in background" The -n means don't try to log in automatically.

ftp -n <<-! &
open remotehost
user username password <----- these are for remote host cd remote_destination_directory
bin
put "| cat ftpexp.dmp" ftpexp.dmp <--- The pipe symbol is important !

3. exp user/password file=ftpexp.dmp

When this completes, your export file should be transferred to the remote server. Try to read it with the imp utility over there.

Some unixes require the "| cat expdat.dmp" where others will let ftp treat it as a regular file. On AIX we must use the "cat" command. On yours you may not near that special quoted file name.

Let me know how you made out. If this does not work I have another trick you could try using just thje 7.2 exp/imp utilities.

--
Chuck