Re: How I can do it:

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 22:04:35 +1000

"Ariel" <a_at_a.com> wrote in message news:anrmh5$jqk$1_at_news.tpi.pl...
> > The phrase 'it doesn't work' is singularly unhelpful. About as useful as
> me
> > replying that 'it should work'.
>
> Ok. I wrote to small description :-).
> I think abort "some" special export form 9i. My 9i database was created
> from "upgrade" form 8i, thus schema object are "compatible".
>
> > Meaning that you have to be in the 8i ORACLE_HOME/bin directory when you
> > type 'exp', to make sure you launch the 8i version of export. You then
> > connect export to the 9i database and proceed as usual. At the end of
it,
> > you have an 8i-compatible export dump file, and the 8i version of import
> > should have no problem importing that into an 8i database... provided
you
> > aren't trying to export 9i-specific data structures (such as ASSM
bitmaps,
> > etc).
>
> I needed your hint - trick, that to connect from 8i import application to
9i
> database,
> but how I can do it? These databases are on diffrent machines. How I can
use
> export utility on remote db?

How do you access any database remotely, even for doing a simple SQLPlus query? Yup: you have to set up a listener, and a tnsnames file, and get yourself a local tnsnames alias that connects you to the remote database. If you can sqlplus scott/tiger_at_DB9, so you can exp scott/tiger_at_DB9.

Regards
HJR