Re: problems with oracle 8i under slackware linux

From: Mikhail Ivanov <mivanov_at_tdera.ru>
Date: 7 Oct 2002 01:03:32 -0700

Bjoern Berg <clergyman_at_gmx.de> wrote in message news:<anhav5$e6lll$1_at_ID-144190.news.dfncis.de>...
> Hello all,
>
> I want to install oracle 8i with a slackware 8.0 (kernel 2.4.19) but if I
> try to start ./runInstaller the programm runs and shows the following:
>
> System Monitor Status
> ---------------------
> Thread queue lock: unowned.
> Name and type hash table lock: unowned.
> String intern lock: unowned.
> JNI pinning lock: unowned.
> JNI global reference lock: unowned.
> Zip lock: unowned.
> BinClass lock: unowned.
> Class loading lock: unowned.
> Java stack lock: unowned.
> Code rewrite lock: unowned.
> Heap Lock: unowned.
> Has finalization queue lock: unowned.
> Finalize me queue lock: unowned.
> Integer lock access-lock: unowned.
> Monitor cache lock: unowned.
> Monitor registry: unowned.
>
> Object Monitor Status
> ---------------------
> OK
>
> and jumps back to the command prompt. I have noticed that there exist a
> thread in this newsgroup about this problem but there was no real
> solution about the problem.
>
> Someone told me that it may help to deactivate libjitc which is loaded by
> Oracles JVM to prevent a timeout. Is this possible in any way??
>
> The machine has 128 MB RAM and a swap about 256 MB RAM, this should be
> enough.
>
> Any idea?
> TIA
>
> - Bjoern

The glibc 2.1 (not 2.2) and kernel 2.2 or 2.4 are important for Oracle installation at Linux. Slackware has another location to free, awk (Oracle need /usr/bin/) also.

1-st way.
Try use fresh JRE for installation (from Blackdown or IBM). Use compatible glibc*, gcc, glibs rpm packages from RHL 7.2.

2-nd way.
Install Oracle to 7.1 Slackware box and copy to 8 Slackware box.

Hand work is required to install Oracle to not certificated Linux in general.

Mikhail Ivanov. Received on Mon Oct 07 2002 - 03:03:32 CDT