Re: Oracle 9i on SuSE 8.0: unable to attach to share memory segment, please help

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 6 Oct 2002 11:19:20 -0700

In article <anpoe7$b54$1_at_news.BelWue.DE>, "Roman says...

>Hello,
>I wonder if anyone came across the same problem installing Oracle 9i under
>SuSE 8.0 as I’m struggling with for the 3rd day already, and could give me
>some advice?
>
>The very first installation worked fine, but when I tried to install Oracle
>again in the different place, it keeps on giving me “unable to attach to
>shared memory segment”. The error persists even after the complete
>reinstallation of Linux.
>
>I remember that I forgot to shutdown the database before uninstalling it the
>first time, so I had to kill the processes by hand.
>
>“ORACLE_HOME” and “ORACLE_SID” are set correctly.
>
>I tried to start the database by hand with SQL Plus; I’m able to start the
>instance, but when it comes to mounting it, the control files are lacking. I
>tried to create them with SQL Plus, but I’m probably doing something wrong,
>since it always returns an error, that the parameters don’t match the
>database configuration.
>
>On the other hand, when I type “ipcs” to see the share memory and
>semaphores, there is nothing used by Oracle.
>
>There should be something fundamentally wrong here, that the standard
>installation cannot proceed. What really boggles the mind is that the
>problem still persists even after formatting the hard drive and reinstalling
>Linux.
>
>Do you have any ideas?
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thank you very much,
>
>Roman Zhovtulya
>Database Lab
>Offenburg University

did you do the mandatory OS setup in the OS admin/install guides?

Eg, I have a script in my /etc/init.d that is called kernel.sh and has stuff like:

echo 100 32000 100 100 > /proc/sys/kernel/sem echo 2147483648 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax echo 4096 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmni
echo 2097152 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmall
echo 65536 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
ulimit -n 65536
echo 1024 65000 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range ulimit -u 16384

That gets run upon startup. without something like that -- you don't have sufficient system resources for shared memory, semaphores, etc.

http://technet.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_library/release2/unix.920/a96167/toc.htm .....

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte@oracle.com)             http://asktom.oracle.com/