Re: Does anybody really use Oracle 8i on Win2k?

From: tingl <tlam15_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Oct 2002 11:22:55 -0700

> very

> dial

> Go
> for

> > > PhhhhhhhhhhhhhtBong!  (That's the sound of something completely missing

> the
> > > point).
> > >
> > > How something can be "meaningful" when it can so easily be manipulated

> is
> > > beyond me. All Connor is doing with his script is generating large

> amounts
> > > of consistent reads. Those happen all the time in the normal operation

> of a
> > > production database. They inflate the hit ratio. Rollback segment

> headers
> > > can suffer enormous degrees of contention, and thus be a real

> performance
> > > bottleneck -yet each time they're accessed, they register as a 'hit' in

> the
> > > cache, inflating the ratio. Segment header blocks are consulted (and

> maybe
> > > adjusted) by all inserts and deletes, which mean they are going to be
> > > popular blocks, and thus constantly 'hit' in the cache. You set PCTFREE

> for
> > > a segment to 95 and PCTUSED to 90, and you'll have to make freelist
> > > alterations practically every piece of DML: performance will be woeful

> as a
> > > result, but you'll have a nice hit ratio because all the times you

> needed to
> > > adjust the segment header block, there it was in the Cache.  I could go

> on.
> >
> > PCTFREE 95, PCTUSED 90? I don't know.
> > I completely understand your point. Certain activities will no doubt
> > inflate the hit ratio (althought not significantly on most real
> > systems) but they are in fact happening on your system. A hit is a hit
> > and a miss is a miss. Are you suggesting thoes numbers should not be
> > counted? The hit ratio simply tells the hits and misses on the system,
> > nothing else. It is up to you to interpretate it but it is by no mean
> > meaningless. Otherwise we would not have to use it at all.
> >

> > > If your SQL accesses 20 vital records with 3000 buffer gets, 2998 of

> which
> > > are 'hits' in the cache, you have a hit ratio near 100%.
> > >

> > This at least tells you that increasing the buffer size will not help.
> >

> That's not a bad deduction, actually.

Then I guess hit ratio is not meaningless.

> > > My SQL accesses those same 20 vital records with 50 gets, 40 of which

> are
> > > 'hits' in the cache. My ratio is only 80% ("Bad" by all the usual

> measures).
> > > But I'll guarantee you my 20 records are returned faster than yours.
> > >

> > This tells you that you may be able to improve by increasing the
> > buffer size, although 80% is not bad. What if the hit ratio were 30%?
> >

> Actually, by all the standard measures, 80% is pretty bad. It's supposed to
> be 85% or thereabouts for a warehouse, and 95% for an OLTP shop, according
> to Oracle's opwn doco, and a raft of rather naff books out there under
> various labels.  And whilst your earlier deduction (an increase isn't going
> to help) was sound, the one here (that an increase might be useful) is much
> more problematic.

You loss me a little bit here. You mentioned hit ratio is useless, now I hear 80% is pretty bad. In general sense I don't think it's bad for data warehouses.

> The general point is good though: with statements such as these, you aren't
> tuning by hit ratios. You are using the ratio as a starting point for
> thinking about what is going on in the cache specifically, the database
> generally, and the application globally. And *that's* the basis of good
> performance tuning.... not simply saying "80% is bad, 95% is good".

Hit ratio is simply one of the indicators.

> > After all the SQL tunings you will still have to come back to buffer
> > size eventually, or we will all be using minimal amount of memory
> > possible and expect optimal performance.
>
> In a nutshell, that is what performance tuning is all about, surely: optimal
> performance with minimal resources.
>
> >There are also things that
> > will deflate the hit ratio but they are indeed occurring and should
> > not be ignored.
>
> Exactly.  The ratio is being messed around with every which way. So don't
> use it as the be-all and end-all of tuning. That's all.

It is one aspect of tuning and should not be overlooked. Here is another analogy: If I am driving down the road with a fast leaking gas tank, should I be ignoring the gas meter because it does not reflect the actual amount of gas my car is burning? No. Received on Sat Oct 05 2002 - 13:22:55 CDT