Re: java stored procedure code example

From: Jeremy Ovenden <newsposter_at_hazelweb.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 19:03:58 +0100

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:knjrpuk2poh7vtva1us6aboaseikg6nke8_at_4ax.com...
> On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:10:05 +0100, "Jeremy Ovenden"
> <newsposter_at_hazelweb.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Looking for help with the following. I have a table with a
BLOB
> >column containing binary data (e.g. MS Word docs, jpeg images
> >etc.)
> >
> >I want to write these files out to a BFILE on the o/s.
> >
> >I believe the only method for doing this is to either write
an
> >external proc or to write a jsp to do it. Not knowing java is
> >handicap! So am looking to see if anyone has done something
> >similar and could at least share an outline?
> >
> >BTW this an Oracle 8.1.7+ database.
> >
> >TIA
>

> Just study the procedures in the DBMS_LOB package in your
> documentation.

Hi Sybrand

I don't think it is possible to write a BFILE from a LOB using pl/sql and DBMS_LOB unless I have been wrongly advised? I believe that BFILEs are read-only and that an external procedure or equivalent is required - am I wrong (I *do* hope so as I would love to be able to do it all in pl/sql!).

cheers

--
jeremy