Re: Export for Upgrade

From: Jonathan Bliss <bliss_jonathan_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 17:25:58 +0100

"Karsten Farell" <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com> wrote in message news:WYin9.627$6G1.55007400_at_newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> Jonathan Bliss wrote:
> > Could anyone help with the following, I have tried in metalink.
> >
> > An old 7.2.3 database has outgrown an old DEC, Digital Unix 3.1 box.
> >
> > There is an NT Server with Oracle 8.1.7.4.1 waiting to take the
database.

> > The Unix box is the last in the network and I don't do Unix.
>
> Are you saying that the Unix box cannot be reached by any other host?
> That it's all alone in its own network? If that's true, you are severely
> limited in your options.

I'm saying it is the only Unix box on the network. All the others are NT/2000. Currently the only connectivity used is SQL*Net over TCP/IP. I haven't enough space to create an export file on this box. Unless I can make another box on the network visible as a mount on Unix I cannot run an export from this machine.

> > There is not enough room on the old box to take an export and say ftp it
> > across. We are reluctant to make space by killing the database until it
is
> > up on the new box. The old tape backup is unlikely to be transferrable.
We
> > don't have any NFS software and there is a reluctance to implement it
for
> > this one off occasion.
>
> Are you saying that you can 'ftp' to the Unix box? That contradicts what
> I thought you were saying in the previous paragraph. If you can reach
> the Unix box with 'ftp', then you can (probably) reach it with 'exp'.

I haven't tried ftp but I'm sure if I had the dmp file on the Unix box I could ftp it across and it should be readable on the NT box. I don't need the level of integration to do that as I need to mount a network drive on the Unix box.

> > The oldest oracle client export anyone can find is 7.3.4 which gives
> > EXP-00037 errors.
> >
> > Any thoughts as to how to move it across - assuming it will go.
> >
> > e.g. Is there a simple way of making the network visible or does anyone
know
> > where I could download a copy of the 7.2 exp utility for a DOS/Windows
>
> You can export from a 7.3.4 database using an 8.1.7 client running
> 'exp'. From your NT box, you can (after setting tnsnames.ora correctly):
>
> exp system/password_at_unix_box...

I get EXP-00037 errors running 7.3.4, I haven't tried the 8.1.7 client but perhaps I need to, are you telling me that this is more robust? I'll give it a go on Monday. SQL*Plus works and I have an e-mail recommending I try a product called Databee so I am going to look at that.

> Of course, I don't think I have a clear picture of your environment ...
> and I could be way off base (not an unusual position for me to be in,
> unfortunately).

If there is a failure in communication both the communicator and the recipient share the blame. If you can help when the situation is clear to you I'll shoulder all the blame:). Received on Fri Oct 04 2002 - 11:25:58 CDT