Re: Export for Upgrade

From: Karsten Farell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 16:03:02 GMT

Jonathan Bliss wrote:
> Could anyone help with the following, I have tried in metalink.
>
> An old 7.2.3 database has outgrown an old DEC, Digital Unix 3.1 box.
>
> There is an NT Server with Oracle 8.1.7.4.1 waiting to take the database.
>
> The Unix box is the last in the network and I don't do Unix.

Are you saying that the Unix box cannot be reached by any other host? That it's all alone in its own network? If that's true, you are severely limited in your options.

> There is not enough room on the old box to take an export and say ftp it
> across. We are reluctant to make space by killing the database until it is
> up on the new box. The old tape backup is unlikely to be transferrable. We
> don't have any NFS software and there is a reluctance to implement it for
> this one off occasion.

Are you saying that you can 'ftp' to the Unix box? That contradicts what I thought you were saying in the previous paragraph. If you can reach the Unix box with 'ftp', then you can (probably) reach it with 'exp'.

> The oldest oracle client export anyone can find is 7.3.4 which gives
> EXP-00037 errors.
>
> Any thoughts as to how to move it across - assuming it will go.
>
> e.g. Is there a simple way of making the network visible or does anyone know
> where I could download a copy of the 7.2 exp utility for a DOS/Windows

You can export from a 7.3.4 database using an 8.1.7 client running 'exp'. From your NT box, you can (after setting tnsnames.ora correctly):

exp system/password_at_unix_box...

Of course, I don't think I have a clear picture of your environment ... and I could be way off base (not an unusual position for me to be in, unfortunately). Received on Fri Oct 04 2002 - 11:03:02 CDT