Strange result in SQL*Plus

From: Vsevolod Afanassiev <vafanassiev_at_aapt.com.au>
Date: 4 Oct 2002 04:38:12 -0700

Let's say you have a VARCHAR2(48) column and you truncate it to 10 characters using substr. Then SQL*Plus automatically adjusts the default column width

SELECT substr(program,1,10) from v$session;

SUBSTR(PRO

JDBC Thin
sqlplus_at_gl

I don't know how it does it. However, on one of our boxes this behaviour suddenly changed (that's wat Apps Support is telling me) and SQL*Plus no longer adjusts the column width

SELECT substr(program,1,10) from v$session;

SUBSTR(PROGRAM,1,10)

JDBC Thin Client

Normally this won't be a big problem but our developers produced some number of reports that expect the default behaviour (i.e. truncation). I checked SQL*Plus manuals but couldn't find anything.

Thanks

Sev Received on Fri Oct 04 2002 - 06:38:12 CDT