Re: Simple archivelog question

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 21:53:13 +0100

Pete Sharman wrote:

> In article <nfWm9.45382$g9.129750_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, "Richard says...
> >
> >Hi Charlie,
> >
> >OK, this is what I would do.
> >
> >Go up to the DBA, big smile on your face and chat about the weather, the
> >sport on the weekend, what a great new album Bowie has recently released,
> >how fit and healthy he/she looks and then just nonchalantly ask, "... and
> >ummm, is the database in archivelog or noarchivelog mode at the moment" ?
> >
> >If he/she replies archivelog mode then congratulate him/she on their quality
> >of work and buy them a donut.
> >
> >If the reply is noarchivelog mode then look them dead in the eye and ask
> >"Why" ? Then sit back and listen real carefully for it had better be good
> >
> >Cheers
> >
> >Richard
>
> Pardon me for butting in, but I don't believe I ever saw a comment from the OP
> that this was a Production database. Is this an assumption everyone has
> magically leapt to, or did I miss something here? If it's not Production, then
> why run it in ARCHIVELOG mode?
>
> As an aside, I have seen a Development database run in ARCHIVELOG mode once, but
> only because it held the CASE repository (shows you how long ago that was, hey?)
>
> Pete
> >"Charlie Edwards" <charlie3101_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm not a DBA, so I tend to not worry about the intricacies of backup
> >> and recovery, leaving that to those more qualified.
> >>
> >> However, I rather suspect that my database is not in archivelog mode.
> >>
> >> How can I tell (bearing in mind I don't have access to V$DATABASE :-()
> >> whether this is the case? The background processes in V$SESSION
> >> perhaps?
> >>
> >> These days, is there a good reason for _not_ running in archivelog
> >> mode?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> CE
> >

> HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.
>
> Pete
>
> SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

I generally reckong packaged apps should be run in archivelog mode (dev or test as well as prod) because a lot of them (heaven forbid) store bucketloads of metadata in the database. Often this is a data dictionary for their abysmal use of relational structures, or source code for their custom interpreted languages. Its nice to be able to recover to a point in time for these apps...

Cheers
Connor

--
Connor McDonald