Re: Ultimate Question: Oracle, MSSQL, Others vs MYSQL LIMIT Statement

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 23:30:26 +1000

Hi Serge,

This thread began to lose it's relevance from an Oracle point of view when the discussion of reorg started (at the point when my name sake started questioning the reasons for a re-org).

As Daniel, Sybrand, Norman and Howard have all since stated, if tables have been set-up correctly (with appropriate values for PCTUSED/PCTFREE), a reorg is generally not required as tables do not become fragmented. Emptyish blocks get placed back on the freelists and can be subsequently reused very efficiently.

Fragmentation occurs when PCTUSED/PCTFREE have not been set appropriately or if a table permanently reduces in size.

The issue of a table no longer meeting a clustering factor is not relevant per se in Oracle as Oracle doesn't have the concept of a 'clustering index' on a table. The closest Oracle gets to this is it's implementation of Clusters (which is somewhat different) and Index Organised Tables (which is even more somewhat different). Rows in Heap tables are 'effectively' randomly distributed, especially so if deletes occur. This is good in that it's one less reason for a reorg but bad in that maintaining a desirable clustering factor is difficult.

Having such a discussion across so many groups is difficult as each DB does things and implements things differently.

BTW (sorry Norman), this is by no means the "Ultimate Question". My vote for the real Ultimate Question is "Will you marry me" ;)

Cheers

Richard

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_library/release2/em.920/a86 647/reorg.htm#1006543