Re: Rule Based Optimization Going Away?

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: 2 Oct 2002 21:17:09 -0500

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in news:7ZMm9.45097$g9.128606_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com:

> Anyway, whether I believe you or not: by 10i, the rule-based
> optimizer is finished. So even if you are the God's gift to
> predicting access paths, tough luck: Oracle won't support you.

The 'problem' as I see it as the an optimizer is a piece of complex code. Sybase's ASE optimizer has been around _way_ longer than Oracle's and it is extremely robust. However, it still has the occasional bug.

What I'd like to see in 10i is for Oracle to support not hints but optimizer directives because bugs do happen.

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com