Can't connect as sysdba from remote client

From: a1ik <a1ik.REMOVE_THIS_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 00:02:13 GMT

I have Oracle 8.1.6. running on Solaris. I am trying to connect to the instance with SID=CPS from remote location with sysdba privileges. It never worked for me. It works fine when I connect locally:

$ sqlplus cps/alert

SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production on Wed Oct 2 19:30:55 2002

(c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production

SQL> conn cps/alert as sysdba
Connected.
SQL> exit
Disconnected from Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production
$

However, I can't connect from a client running on Windows XP machine:

SQL*Plus: Release 8.0.6.0.0 - Production on Wed Oct 2 19:37:11 2002

(c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production

SQL> conn cps/alert_at_cps.ultra as sysdba
ERROR:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE. SQL>

I tried both OS and password file authentications.

For the OS authentication I set remote_login_passwordfile = none, restarted the instance, created ORA_DBA group and included the user I am using to login to Windows XP into ORA_DBA group.

For password file authentication I set remote_login_passwordfile = exclusive, restarted the instance, created password file with command orapwd file=$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapwCPS password=alert entries=5, granted sysdba to cps user:

$ svrmgrl

Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.6.0.0 - Production

Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production

SVRMGR> connect / as sysdba
Connected.
SVRMGR>
SVRMGR> grant sysdba to cps;
Statement processed.
SVRMGR> select * from v$pwfile_users;

USERNAME                       SYSDB SYSOP
INTERNAL                       TRUE  TRUE
SYS                            TRUE  TRUE
CPS                            TRUE  FALSE

I tried setting sqlnet.authentication_services of sqlnet.ora on the server side to none, (nts), nts. Nothing helped.

I hope there is someone who can point me to the right direction where to look for the source of the problem.

Thank you,

--Alexander Received on Wed Oct 02 2002 - 19:02:13 CDT