Re: (URGENT REQUIREMENT)?Jobs for IT Professionals in Bangalore,UK,No rth & South India.

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 07:54:20 +1000

I am indeed a old fart, thinking as I do that the day Mr Bowie produces something half as decent as the Serenade No,10 in B flat major K.361, we might be on to something (incidentally, where have all the "greats" gone???? Maria? Britten? Toscanini? I think I was born about 35 years too late. But Richard Foote's OK, then).

OTOH, I don't want to become like the French.

Er, let me qualify that (actually, I needn't!). I wouldn't want to see language regulated and "approved". Provided we all know what we're talking about, it seems to me that abbreviations are fine.

gr8 m8 is good Aussie slang updated to the 21st century, I suspect.

What annoys me far more is perfectly sensible Englishmen (or colonials) suddenly behaving (and talking) as though they'd just come off the Texas ranch. What the heck does "cool" mean anyway?!

But it's all a losing battle, I think. Everytime I install any software package that worries about 'locales', guess which locale is *always* defaulted to? Why, 'United States', naturally. My Windows installations always seem to think they should be running Seattle time by default. And do you know how far it is to scroll from the "U"s to the "A"s?? At least the UK only has one or two spaces to travel. We Aussies have a mile to scroll!

Don't get me wrong: I love America. I think it vibrant, broadly speaking moral, and hilariously optimistic. But I'm fed up with being assumed by all software to be a Yank. The only thing worse would be to assume I was French (Crécy and Agincourt have to count for something, I think).

And I point-blank refuse to SMS like anything other than the kewel Aussie bloke I've become, M8.

Bugger.