insufficient privileges as sysdba 8.1.7 on Win2k

From: James Gutholm <todhsals_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2 Oct 2002 11:47:27 -0700

I have 8.1.7 rinning on Win2k.

I did not do the initial install/config of this system but I am unaware of anything out of the ordinary.

While at the local console I can connect internal from sqlplus. The OS account I'm using is a domain account the local ORA_DBA and Administrators groups. REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE is set to EXCLUSIVE

>SQL> connect internal_at_instance
>Enter password:
>Connected.
>SQL>
I can also connect with system as sysdba but do not have privileges to complete some functions such as shuting down the database that work with connect internal.

SQL> connect system_at_pprddm as sysdba
Enter password:
Connected.
SQL> shutdown immediate
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

A possibly relate issue is that even when connecting internal, I am prompted for a password. This is not the case on another 8.1.7/Win2k box that is similarly configured. Both boxes have REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE set to EXCLUSIVE although I believe this has no relevance to local connections.

Any help/ideas greatly appreciated.

Tod Received on Wed Oct 02 2002 - 13:47:27 CDT