Re: Beginner's course to *PROPER* slashing (for HJR, not important, not directly Oracle related)

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 20:08:55 +1000

I've always wanted an entire thread named after me, so thank you Dusan.

Can I take the test now, please?

"Dusan Bolek" <pagesflames_at_usa.net> wrote in message news:1e8276d6.0210012253.19728cc9_at_posting.google.com...
> For all IT professionals with serious slashing problem we now offer a
> new introductory course with following structure:
>
> 1) UNIX - a seventies star

Rather like a brown dwarf is a sort-of star?

> 2) Windows - beginning in eighties

This part of the course is called 'The Ascent of OSes' by Howard Bronowski, and demonstrates how Windows emerged from the primaeval swamp called Unix, and has continued its evolutionary ascent ever since.

> 3) Graduate course in historical science - why in all centuries are
> seventies before eighties.

Cultural myopism. The Islamic 70s are quite frequently after the Christian 80s. Just as Windows is the superior operating system, overall... after all, Unix doesn't come with Spider Solitaire.

> 4) History of slashes - punctuation mark, symbol for division, IT
> meaning

Not entirely sure you want to go there. "Slash" has a meaning in English slang which I really don't want to get into. But have done frequently since birth. Eeeeugh.

> 5) Why was Mr. Gates wrong

As Chou En Lai once said: it's too early to tell.

> 6) Linguistic approach - What means "back" in word "backslash"

It's falling over backwards, because you can relax back in your seat with Windows. With Unix, it's tottering forwards to doom and eventual oblivion, rather like the OS itself. (We can live in hope).

> 7) Conclusion - who's a good guy in slash vs. backslash contest?

There is but one OS, and His name is Windows. So the answer's obvious.

> After completing course, all participants can take a simple exam and
> become
> a Slash Certified Professional (SCP).

Good.

> Price of course together with exam (100% pass guaranteed) is only 500$
> and should be send directly to Bolek's single malt Whisky support fund
> (BSMWSF).

Damn.

Regards
The Eponymous HJR (SCP)