Re: Ultimate Question: Oracle, MSSQL, Others vs MYSQL LIMIT Statement

From: Tony Wright <tonyz.wrightz_at_consultant.com>
Date: 1 Oct 2002 22:48:23 -0700

But how would this all effect my desire to retrieve an ordered subset of records?

Surely the only things that I would need to worry about is that the order is consistent ie. record 1 is before record 2 is before record 3 etc; I have to be aware that an addition of a record or deletion of a record may result in records moving between subsets (what I called "pages", but that may be confusing people, as I am not refering to physical disk pages). That doesn't really concern me, because it is unusual to be looking for a record that hasn't been entered - it's all a matter of process, I suppose.

Whatever happens behind the scenes is not really my concern, surely? If the system decides to reorganise the records internally, then provided my (sorted) records are returned the same way as they would have been returned before the reorg, then there should be no difference, other than perhaps performance.