Re: What Use is OCP? Plenty!

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 1 Oct 2002 15:20:38 -0700

mikerault_at_earthlink.net (Mike Ault) wrote in message news:<37fab3ab.0209290929.40a38e71_at_posting.google.com>...
> I also have to laugh every time someone complains about Oracle
> requiring a hands on test for the Oracle Master and a hands on
> instructor lead course for the new OCP for DBA, aren't these the very
> things we have said where left out of the original OCP? Come on, we
> can't have it both ways.

But there is a third route. Have Oracle pay (ok, it's amortized in the cost to businesses) to let people prove they can do it. By making it cost thousands _just to stay in the field_ is a direct path to a closed, insular society. Only those who are subsidized by business can afford to stay working, and the most creative, or independent, or simply unlucky people are shut out. Over the medium term, this is cumulative and is a very bad thing.

> A thought, how about an independent certification program run by the
> user group...oops, already tried that and couldn't get an ounce of
> support from anyone.

That would be an issue of leadership.

> Perhaps instead of tearing our clothes, putting ashes on our foreheads
> and declaring the death of the true Oracle professional we should be
> policing our ranks, insisting on certification and ask that Oracle
> include a required experience level before showing up for the exam.

Who watches the watchers? I agree with the sentiment, but creating a fair and consistent process to implement this is a long ways away. And how about substituting experience for exams, rather than prerequisitioning it? I've seen people "legitimately" put experience on their resumes when they've just sat there and learned nothing. And I've seen experience discounted because of simple nomenclature.

> Perhaps require that the applicant provide a filled in form from their
> employer certifying that they have used Oracle for at least X amount
> of time.

Define "used"...

> How many of you experts are willing to donate time to pre-interview
> candidates? Or do you expect Oracle to do this for free?

Yes, although "free" can be read "Amortized into the sales and support process." The primary business of business is business, and the purpose of regulation is to stop the abuses by business. Oracle only has a cert process insofar as someone can convince the Primary Shareholder it is profitable, or legally necessary.

> I believe the OCP is a mark in the sand, it states the person was
> willing to take the time to learn and apply that learning to a test.
> Does it mean hand over a database that is mission critical? Nope. Does
> it mean hire them over someone with demonstrated ability and
> experience? Nope. It is a foot in the door, a penny on the scale in
> their favor, all other things being equal.
>
> Bashing something because it isn't perfect is counter productive, why
> not encourage change from within?

Sometimes change from within can be a good thing. Sometimes a revolution is necessary.

jg

--
@home is bogus.
What was it DeSade said about the usefulness of a revolution?