FInd Oracle_Home using SQL

From: Lance Bellamy <lance.bellamy_at_dendrite.com>
Date: 1 Oct 2002 15:04:17 -0700

I have written a VB database reporting program that describes each remote database it connects to. For example the report lists the following:

  sid
  version
  bdump directory
  archive mode
  location of control files
  all datafiles
  all redo logs
  etc.

I need a way to find the value of $ORACLE_HOME on a remote database/server using sql or plsql. I have looked at every sys $ table and cannot find any table with the actual location of $ORACLE_HOME.

Is there any way to create a procedure/function that will shell out on the server and record the value of $ORACLE_HOME to variable that can be retrived using a query, procedure or function.

Any hints would be appreciated. Received on Tue Oct 01 2002 - 17:04:17 CDT