Re: Unix Training needed - where to get it?

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 13:07:40 GMT

comments embedded

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 06:57:17 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Just remember two things:
>
>1. It's case-sensitive: CD is not the same as cd
>2. The slashes are all the wrong way around

That pretty much sums up most of what I already knew about Unix. ;-)

>(That should annoy all the Unix users ;-)
>
>Oh, also remember: it's a nightmare.
>
>Seriously: I'm not sure whether you are saying 'will Oracle be any different
>on a Unix box' (answer: no, except that it will work properly). Or are you
>saying 'how do I get up to speed with Unix'?

The latter. I feel that I need to have at least passable skills as an OS admin on whatever platform my DB is running on.

I have found a 4-day course by the Learning Tree company. Anyone have any read on their offerings and the quality of their classes? Also, I found out that, to be more specific, the OS will be AIX, and I have found a 5-day class in AIX fundamentals offered by (who else?) IBM.