Re: Windows: Create DB creation scripts from an running instance

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 22:25:59 +1000

"Casi" <casimir.schmid_at_swisscom.com> wrote in message news:1033473320.691196_at_exnews...
> Dear Howard
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> I've tried your solution. After exporting and importing it with parameter
> indexfile (otherwise you cannot open the dumpfile in a text-editor),

Of course you can, provided you are prepared not to *save* it afterwards. I was suggesting that you open the file, cut (or copy) the tablespace lines, and paste them into a genuine text file, which you save as a .sql file. Hence my telling you not to bother exporting rows, just in case you forgot not to save.

>there
> were no create tablespace statements in it (only create table or index
> statements).

That's why it's called an 'indexfile', of course. It has only has create table statements (remm'd out) and create index statements (which are functional without editing). That's the reason for needing the complete dump file.

For the record, I am forever hacking bits of dump files out using nothing more than Notepad.

Regards
HJR

> But I see the effort to create a script is too big (see the version
history
> in the unix script: http://www.orafaq.com/scripts/unix/crdb.txt). It's not
> one-off, I should do this on three DBs in the next four weeks and more DBs
> will come. And the way to edit some template creation scripts and update
> them with the information given from the running instance manually is more
> or less fast, but also very susceptibly for errors.
>
> Anyway, thanks for your help
>
> Casi
>

> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Ok, taking it step by step:
> >
> > "Casi" <casimir.schmid_at_swisscom.com> wrote in message
> > > Dear HJR
> > >
> > > With the database configuration assistant, you are only able to get
> > creation
> > > scripts for a new DB. But I'm looking for a script that receives all
the
> > > current settings from a running instance. My aim is to run an export
of
> > > DB, create a second db with these creation scripts (with all the
changes
> > > done since the DB has been started, e.g:
> > > - increases of the memory usage like shared pool or java pool size or
> >
> > Surely just copying the existing init.ora would be good enough? It's got
> all
> > the current memory settings in it.
> >
> > > - adding datafiles (for example 4 times 500mb), but optimized to big
> > > datafile (1 time 2gb)
> >
> > You can get the create tablespace statements out of a dummy export file.
> > mean, do a full=y export, rows=n. Then open up the dump file in the text
> > editor of your choice and whip out the create tablespace lines. Hack
them
> > anyway you wish. Save as a '.sql' file.
> >
> > > and then to import all the data in the new db. I have to change this
DB