Re: Moving DB from NT to other Platforms

From: Ronald <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: 1 Oct 2002 01:22:10 -0700

"Majid Khosrow" <makhosrow_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<GwHl9.27338$sR2.476781_at_news4.ulv.nextra.no>...
> Hi
> I want to move a DB (Oracle 7.3.4) from NT to another Platforms (Unix, Linux
> ...Oracle8i).
> Do I need 2 exportes ? One full_exp with data & another full_exp without
> data ?(if yes, why?).
> I have too many users & tables in my DB.
>
> Thanx.

I would use this opportunity to re-design the database and make it a nice 8i database. With a few dynamic pl/sql procedures this is not too difficult and the migration process might be quicker than exp/imp. You do need exp/imp to migrate the users, privileges and stored objects only.
The advantage is that you can use direct path operations for both reading and writing. You can implement locally managed tablespaces with uniform extent size which makes extent management quicker.

Ronald.

http://ronr.nl/unix-dba Received on Tue Oct 01 2002 - 03:22:10 CDT