Re: Does anybody really use Oracle 8i on Win2k?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:57:48 +0100

Comments in line.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____USA__________November 7/9 (MI), 19/21 (TX)
____England______November 12/14

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

>> Running SAP on Win2K, user base about 2000, concurrent users about 300,
>> concurrent db connections (since SAP pools them) about 100.
>>
>> No problems - runs an absolute treat.

This seems to have achieved a reasonable degree of scalability - and running SAP, too !
>> The real importance is the gear you buy. I have no doubt that if we
>> were running Unix on the gear we've got, it would probably be faster,
>> but the Win2k has been up since about July - no reboots, crashes

Clearly a guy who knows how to get Oracle to work well.
>I would not recommend running a 500GB database on W2K for three reasons.
>
>1. Scalability
>2. Scalability
>3. Scalability
Funny, I would have said that 300 concurrent users through 100 pooled connections showed a reasonable degree of scalability. Maybe if the 500 GB is distributed over enough spindles there won't be a problem. And if he puts it on just 8 spindles it will be a problem whatever O/S he uses. Frankly, I wouldn't put in a comment like yours without some concrete backup as a response to some real-life statistics that prove you fairly close to wrong.