Re: What use is OCP ?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Sep 2002 09:55:36 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<jfpepu0o4m34t33mack0f29a124qu5h72q_at_4ax.com>...
> On 29 Sep 2002 10:12:05 -0700, mikerault_at_earthlink.net (Mike Ault)
> wrote:
>
> >Fellow Posters,
> >
> >Perhaps it is just me, but I find it really a pain to have to scroll
> >to the very bottom of a tome to see your response. If I want to
> >re-read the whole damn thing, I can go back to it. Place your
> >my pet peave, and I treat it well...
>
> It is just you. Netiquette dictates you respond below a post, not
> above. In Dutch newsgroups you will be invariably flamed for using
> Outlook conventions.

Please cite the netiquette. In fact, it varies from group to group. When was the last time a faq was posted to this group?

> That most posters and responders always quote previous contributions
> in full is the real problem and usually just a waste of bandwith.

That is correct.

> If the question has already been responded too, I *never* read the
> initial post, because I *know* the initial post will be quoted in full
> in the reply.

I use different posting software at different times, so that tends to vary my posting style. Also, if it just a short answer I would rather see it at the top than scroll down and perhaps miss it. Any rule should cover both short posts and long point-by-point posts.

> Regards
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

jg

--