Re: What Use is OCP? Plenty!

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 30 Sep 2002 09:06:00 -0700

In article <TZVl9.43302$g9.124308_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, "Richard says...

>Hi Mike,
>
>You make some good points but ...
>

>In my opinion, a great deal can be 'fixed' via a simple renaming. Rather
>than being a Certified Oracle *Professional*, it should be called an Oracle
>Certified *Novice* (OCN). Seriously. Think about it. That's all passing
>these exams prove at present. You have a basic understanding of the Oracle
>principles and have proven as such by passing these exams. You have shown
>yourself to have done some research, you've read a few books or attended a
>few courses. You have crossed the "line in the sand" that suggests you can
>crawl. You have also shown yourself to have some initiative and enthusiasm
>which is a positive. Having such accreditation might make a prospective
>employer consider such a person on a traineeship type basis. Being an OCN
>is then an accreditation that has a clear, accurate definition and purpose.
>It can then be promoted and marketed in a consistent manner, as a "key first
>step" attracting those interested in a career in Oracle. An accreditation
>which combined with a few years of Oracle Development work gears you towards
>true professionalism and the next logical step (from a DBA perspective).

snip

OK, I watched this discussion for a while before I stepped in, mainly because a lot of it has been discussed before adn I couldn't see anything where I could add value. But now Richard has made these comments, I simply can't resist any longer.

I'm sure that OU looked at the concept of an OCN before deciding not to use it, for one very simple reason - it's far too easy to make a typo and turn an OCN into a CON! :)

OK, so I didn't add any value. Never mind!

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Mon Sep 30 2002 - 11:06:00 CDT