Re: Unix Training needed - where to get it?

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:20:56 GMT

Ed Stevens wrote:

> I was informed last week that I was to become the 'instant guru' for a new
> Oracle DB we're putting up on a Unix system. I've been doing Oracle on NT since
> 7.3, but only know enough about Unix to know how much I don't know. I'm looking
> for a 2 to 5 day intro course. Any suggestions on what companies offer a course
> that would be a close fit for my needs?
> --
> Ed Stevens
> (Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)

Oracle on UNIX is pretty much the same as Oracle on Windows with the following exceptions:

  1. No Windows services and no oradim.exe
  2. No registry. Environment variables are set in the dot profile (.profile) likely in some directory such as /home/oracle and for connecting users if they also have UNIX accounts.
  3. It is impossible to properly install and configure Oracle without reading the installation instructions ... especially the pre-installation portion that refers to kernel parameters
  4. Each different flavor of UNIX is slightly different. What is done in Solaris in /etc/system is done in HP/UX in SAM. So when asking questions you must be O/S specific.
  5. Get a guide to vi and study it very very well. Find someone that knows vi and also knows how to teach you how to use it to do so. Without vi you might as well slam you hand in the car door.

But back to your original question ... I would add comp.unix.solaris, or comp.sys.hp.hpux to your usenet groups that you monitor. Sun, HP, and other UNIX vendors also have Oracle support sections on their web sites. But the biggest issues you will have initially will likely relate to vi and finding where things are located as the organization of a UNIX machine bears little resemblence to the organization of a Windows machine.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Sep 30 2002 - 11:20:56 CDT