Re: Multiple "databases" in Oracle...from a SQL Server Admin view..HELP

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:13:18 +0400

MSSQL "database" is roughly equivalent to Oracle "schema", or a user that has some objects in its ownership. You may define users that do not have any objects in their ownership - you may treat these as empty schemas (or databases in MSSQL sense.) So you actually need to create one Oracle database and then create one or more users in that database. When you connect as one particular user, you can create various database objects (tables, indexes, views, stored procedures, etc.) which will go into this user's schema. You can then control access to these objects by granting or revoking certain privileges to other Oracle users. By default, only the owner of the database object has access to this particular object (plus users with system-wide privileges like SELECT ANY TABLE, etc.)
For better understanding, Oracle8i Concepts guide is irreplaceable. You can access it online at http://otn.oracle.com (site requires registration, which is free and does not trigger any spam.) or download it in PDF form for offline reading from the same site. Just start with Part I: What is Oracle, and eventually it will all become clear. :)