Re: What Use is OCP? Plenty!

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 21:00:14 +1000

Hi Mike,

You make some good points but ...

I might be a tad idealistic here but shouldn't an "Oracle Certified Professional" mean you have achieved the status and have proven to be a "Professional" in the Oracle field. Shouldn't an organisation be able to look at such accreditation and know and be assured with reasonable certainly that this person can be trusted to look after the organisation's crucial information holdings. Shouldn't the key word "Professional" mean something close to the actual meaning of the word professional in other professions ?

The problem with the OCP program is that it actually means nothing of the sort. In fact, it doesn't even come close to meaning anything of the sort. The fact Oracle suggests that it does is somewhat dangerous as organisations might incorrectly interpret a persons accreditation incorrectly with possible dire consequences (I often wonder at any legal ramifications ?). Any suggestion that the OCP program is a professional accreditation is at best a nonsense and at worse a rather unfortunate deception.

And that's the point. If the OCP program wants to be taken seriously, it needs to be a professional accreditation.

In my opinion, a great deal can be 'fixed' via a simple renaming. Rather than being a Certified Oracle *Professional*, it should be called an Oracle Certified *Novice* (OCN). Seriously. Think about it. That's all passing these exams prove at present. You have a basic understanding of the Oracle principles and have proven as such by passing these exams. You have shown yourself to have done some research, you've read a few books or attended a few courses. You have crossed the "line in the sand" that suggests you can crawl. You have also shown yourself to have some initiative and enthusiasm which is a positive. Having such accreditation might make a prospective employer consider such a person on a traineeship type basis. Being an OCN is then an accreditation that has a clear, accurate definition and purpose. It can then be promoted and marketed in a consistent manner, as a "key first step" attracting those interested in a career in Oracle. An accreditation which combined with a few years of Oracle Development work gears you towards true professionalism and the next logical step (from a DBA perspective).

Problem solved !! Except for the commonly awful irrelevant questions for which the real answer is, "who cares". The lack of real life relevance in many of the questions is nothing short of alarming.

And the next logical step ?

Well, I would like to think that the general "negative" feedback to the OCP program has done some good. Oracle have finally recognised that the quality of those that obtain OCP status is dubious and are now looking at revamping the whole thing by implementing a much tougher, hands on, practical examination. This is a step in the right direction. From what Pete Sharman has said, this does require some degree of skill, knowledge and practical experience and would be somewhat difficult for a novice to pass. Good. But issues remain. Oracle insisting you must attend two advanced training courses, the potential cost, it being an accreditation that is generally embraced, recognised and required professionally are all issues that still need addressing.

These are of course just my personal views but based on a background of having actually been certified in all available versions (7, 8, 8i and 9i), having worked for Oracle University for many years, having first hand knowledge and experience of it's promotion and having a pretty intimate understanding of the pros and cons associated with the OCP program. Now that I no longer work for Oracle, I no longer have conflicts of interest and can speak openly.

And unfortunately, the basic fact is that being an OCP, as it currently stands, is a contradiction of terms and sadly of minimal use. I can but disagree with any suggestions to the contrary.

Cheers

Richard