What Use is OCP? Plenty!

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:46:35 +0100

Mike,

I'm an OCP - 7 and 8 and going for 9i soon.

Has it been helpful - yes, sometimes, but as mentioned in other posts, the OCP questions are in cases wrong, ambiguous and a bit unfair to non-native english speakers.

Did it get me a job - no - I was in the job already.

Did I benefit from it - yes - my company gave me a payrise for both OCP passes :o)

Did it make me a better DBA - I don't think so. The training on the other hand did. However, the training also had bits that were incorrect - but these were corrected by the trainer. However, he also pointed out that the exams would be based on the incorrect training materials. Oops !

I have only ever seen one job advertised which required an OCP to be considered I'm afraid.

I suspect I have benefitted most from the following :

	Oracle training - I've had some very good trainers.
	These news groups - the cream of Oracle dbas are all here and I
have learned so much from them.
	Experience - putting into practice what I've been told here
	Jonathan et al's presentations at the Belfry sponsored by BMC.
	Books - Jonathan, Tom, et al.
	Playing - doing stuff like 'I wonder what will happen if I
.....'
	Co-operating in the Co-operative FAQ.
	Helping others on these NGs

I think that the OCP as it stands is a bit like a British (English/Welsh I think, the Scots do it different/better) A level - you can get one pretty easily If you can write your own name and remember a few formulas.

Cheers,
Norman.

PS. Watch me fail 9i now :o)

Norman Dunbar