Re: Use control file rebuild to increase log size

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:56:53 +1000

"Me" <Big_guy_at_gods.com> wrote in message news:YUMl9.422718$v53.19214482_at_news3.calgary.shaw.ca...
> Thanks for your response, Howard.
>
> In regards to your comments:
> - replacing the control file is the only way (AFAIK) to modify certain
> parameters (maxlogfiles, maxlogmembers, etc.) so it should be a safe
> operation.

True: this is the only way to alter those parameters, but that doesn't make it 'safe' -as I said, provided your trace file is up to date, there shouldn't be a problem. But if it was to be out of date (which, for this one-off exercise, I doubt) then there would be. Nasty ones.

> - I wanted to increase the maxlogfiles setting anyway so this is actually
> shortcut
> - I wanted to do this to 6 databases so it's a shortcut *

Fair enough, I guess. Brings home the point I always make though: when you *create* your databases, bung these parameters up to the max. Then they never need fiddling with subsequently. The cost? Oh, about an extra 200K or so of controlfile size. Not exactly worth worrying over. Not that this helps you any!!

> So the real question in my mind was whether there was any chance of data
> loss (shouldn't be if I shut down the database using transaction or
> immediate) or whether at some future time, the database would announce
that
> the files are somehow out of sync.

No, there's no possbility of data loss (wouldn't be much of a backup of the control file if there was!). Except in the case, as I said, of the trace file being old.

The effect of the resetlogs is to force synchronisation, so you won't get messages about out of sync files as a result merely of doing what you propose to do.

Regards
HJR