Re: What Use is OCP? Plenty!

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 22:54:11 +0200

On 29 Sep 2002 10:29:14 -0700, mikerault_at_earthlink.net (Mike Ault) wrote:

>I followed with interest the previous post on OCP and whether it was
>worth it. The consensus from the experts was that no, it wasn't worth
>it. I beg to differ.
>
>You only need to peruse the lists here on Google pertaining to Oracle
>or follow any of the other Oracle lists to see there is a great lack
>of knowledge of fundamentals, theory and basic facts about Oracle.
Quite often the people show lack of knowledge *did* pass their OCP. How do you explain that?

[snip]

>I believe the OCP is a mark in the sand, it states the person was
>willing to take the time to learn and apply that learning to a test.
>Does it mean hand over a database that is mission critical? Nope. Does
>it mean hire them over someone with demonstrated ability and
>experience? Nope. It is a foot in the door, a penny on the scale in
>their favor, all other things being equal.

As I view OCP:
- You can manage to pass OCP with *zilch*/zero hands-on Oracle experience! Now how about that!
- Most OCP material is full of errors.
- Quite often the questions need what I call with a biblical term 'exegesis'. The answer to the question depends on this 'exegesis' of questions often written in as grammatically difficult English as possible. Hence, non-native speakers will always have a disadvantage.

I think the only good thing about OCP is that Oracle and people like you earn their income from it.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sun Sep 29 2002 - 15:54:11 CDT