Re: sql tuning

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 15:00:59 +1000

"Karen Abgarian" <abvk_at_ureach.com> wrote in message news:3D940A9C.D0D55052_at_ureach.com...

> > > I sense a shovel load of 'horse manure' on it's way o:)
> > >

> > Nah, only when excrement of another kind is posted first. Which you
never
> > do.
> > (Though references to a certain "pop singer" come close!!)
> >
> > ;-)
>
> For the sake of completeness, here is this excrement:

You said it.

> > I do not think that it really suffers. The effects should decrease with
the
> number
> > of extents in your rollback segment. If there is too many there is
always a
> question
> > whether they were sized correctly. There should be no impact if the
> tablespace
> > hosting your rollback segments is an LMT.

LMT minimises the problem. They don't eliminate it. As you yourself finally admitted. And whether LMTs' minimization is sufficient for all databases in all circumstances is highly debateable.

> Not to discourage others who dare to post to the forum when you are around

Since I've made around 4000 posts here over the past 3 years, and you've made about 30 fairly vacuous ones in the past 3 weeks, I think it evident that I don't discourage anyone who has anything meaningful to say (or ask) from posting here (after three years, this place would be dead if what you say were true).

What I do ask of you is that you firm up your 'thoughts' and 'feelings' and switch to cold, hard facts.

Less of the subjunctive mood ("There should") and rather more of the conditional tense ("There would").

> :-)

Smiley faces don't make up for a lack of basic understanding or concrete knowledge. I don't know you from Adam (or Eve), and accordingly I couldn't particularly give a damn one way or another about you, the person. I am sure you are nice, pleasant and a hoot at parties. I confidently expect that you can cook a juicy Christmas turkey whilst juggling spinning plates and chainsaws. I am even fairly confident that you know, basically, your way around Oracle. When, however, you insist on posting random thoughts here as though they were worthy of factual merit, I will call you on it every time.

I am sorry if you think me unpleasant whilst doing so. I can assure you that I am 10 times more good looking that Richard Foote, and at least as pleasant as a rhum truffle on a salacious evening's saucy entertainment. But there are enough myths out there already without me readily accepting additions to the list.

HJR