Re: Use control file rebuild to increase log size

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 22:48:30 +1000

"Me" <Big_guy_at_gods.com> wrote in message news:vhal9.426767$Ag2.18093236_at_news2.calgary.shaw.ca...
> Hi,
>
> Everything I have read on the subject to date either implies or says
> outright that you can't use "resetlogs" in a control file rebuild to
> increase the size of the logs. Yet, I tried this and it worked fine. If
> I'm running noarchive (and don't care about the logs) and need to rebuild
> the control file anyway, are there any dangers to this?

Well, the danger is that you are blowing away your existing control files. And you are putting your database into a new incarnation.

The incarnation problem probably doesn't bother you, because you're not in archivelog mode anyway (it prevents future recoveries using previouos backups and archives if you were). And for the same reason, I can't think why blowing your controlfiles away would be a major drama (RMAN backup information gets stored in the controlfile, for example, which you'd potentially lose).

The only really serious problem is if the trace file that you use doesn't correctly describe the database you've got: say the trace file was generated Monday, on Tuesday you added a new datafile, and you ran the Monday script on the Wednesday: you'd have lost data and have an unrecoverable datafile on your hands.

It is an awfully long way round to achieve a simple redo log re-sizing though.

Regards
HJR