Re: Use control file rebuild to increase log size

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 10:58:12 +0200

"Me" <Big_guy_at_gods.com> wrote in message news:vhal9.426767$Ag2.18093236_at_news2.calgary.shaw.ca...
> Hi,
>
> Everything I have read on the subject to date either implies or says
> outright that you can't use "resetlogs" in a control file rebuild to
> increase the size of the logs. Yet, I tried this and it worked fine. If
> I'm running noarchive (and don't care about the logs) and need to rebuild
> the control file anyway, are there any dangers to this?
>
> TIA

You can increase the size of the redologs by dropping a redolog group (alter database drop logfile group). Of course you must make sure the group is not in use, which you can arrange by 'alter system switch logfile' Then you re-add the logfile group by alter database add logfile group with a new siz.
I don't see why you use a method which must be considered as 'hacking you a way out', while there is a regular and published method. Running a database in noarchivelog is in most cases just plain stupid.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA