Re: RBS full

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 10:54:31 +0200

"zeb" <thierry.constant1_at_free.fr> wrote in message news:3d955ec8$0$10486$626a54ce_at_news.free.fr...
> Hi,
>
> After a lot of modifications to the database
> (night batches), the tablespace RBS stay full
> all the the batches are OK and committed ...
>
> Why the RBS is not emptied after all the transactions are committed ???
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Oracle 8.1.7
> AIX 4.3

Please refer to the lengthy and very recent thread on setting or not setting OPTIMAL vs shrinking rollback segments manually. A rollback segment is a segment like a table or an index. Segments extend automatically, they do not shrink automatically. rollback segments can be shrinked automatically by setting OPTIMAL,.however you are likely to run into ora-1555, snapshot too old, when setting them to small.
In a properly configured system there is only seldom need to shrink rollback segments and disk is cheap.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA