Re: What is a good blocksize to use.

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 08:18:43 +0100

I think the "in the right circumstances" is the really big point - there are many features of Oracle which vary from good to poor to terrible depending on the whether you've managed to use them in the right place at the right time.

Given the details that Ben Brugman has supplied so far for this particular case I __suspect__ that an index structure (any index structure, not just an IOT) on the client_id is going to degenerate quite badly because of the data split across clients. It is likely (but something to check) that a significant number of leaf blocks will take a 50/50 split and the lower block will remain half empty. But it's the nature of the data - combined with the design of the feature - that introduces the side-effect.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____USA__________November 7/9 (MI), 19/21 (TX)
____England______November 12/14

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

<9j4l9.41244$g9.118420_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...