Re: What use is OCP ?

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:28:54 GMT

Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> Have any of you received the Sept/Oct issue of Oracle Magazine ?
> Have you read the article by the Certification Director for OCP ?
> Would you like to see a few questions, answers, and comments
> about DBA fundamentals.
>
> Question 1:
> ----------------
> What is the minimum number of granules allocated at SGA start-up ?
>
> Answer 1:
> ---------------
> The claim is three. The fact that my system
> always allocates at least 16MB to the shared
> pool alone, let alone the granules needed for the
> buffer and redo log when I start-up is a pity, but
> the answer might be right. However we then read:
>
> "On my database, I can check this by querying
> v$buffer_pool for LO_SETID which is 3"
> Why does the working data set of the default
> buffer pool prove anything about the number of
> granules ? If I have a KEEP and RECYCLE pool,
> the LO_SETID of the db_keep_cache_size is 1,
> the LO_SETID of the db_recycle_cache_size is 2.
>
> We also hear: "if the SGA_MAX_SIZE is less
> than 128M then the granule size is 4M, otherwise
> it is 16M" - perhaps he hasn't found that note on
> Metalink about granules of 8M on Windows 2K.
>
> Anyway - what's the point of asking someone about
> the notional minimum SGA of 3 granules (12MB) ?
> The executable is about 60M, and I'm not trying to
> run the thing on my cell-phone !
>
> Question 2:
> -----------------
> What four parameters most affect the SGA size ?
> a) sga_max_size
> b) shared_pool_size
> c) db_cache_size
> d) large_pool_size
> e) log_buffer
>
> Well, since the SGA_MAX_SIZE is the thing that
> is supposed to be the absolute limit on the number
> of granules you can allocate to the others it clearly
> has to be the other four. After all, you're not really
> 'affecting' the size of something if all you doing is
> stopping it from getting any bigger !
>
> Answer 2
> --------------
> Yup, sga_max_size is the one wrong answer.
>
> We also read "The sga_max_size is determined by
> the size of the other memory structures". Well,
> yes, if you let it default - but the sga_max_size is
> the thing you are supposed to set (if you are being
> a good DBA) so that you can vary the others at need.
>
> Question 3:
> -----------------
> Which command would you execute to decrease
> the size of the shared pool from 50MB to 20MB ?
> a)....
> b)...
> c) alter system set shared_pool_size 20m;
> d) alter system set shared_pool_size = 20m;
>
> Answer 3:
> (d) - perfectly correct, perfectly pointless question.
>
> alter system set shared_pool_size 20m
> ORA-00927: missing equal sign *
>
> I don't care if the DBA doesn't remember that there is
> [...]

From my perspective the OCP is an embarrasement that Oracle should put out with the trash.

It tests people on obscure knowledge, gurantees nothing with respect to ability or skill set, takes money from people leaving them disillusioned when they can't get a job, and from where I sit geographically, soundly ignored by hiring managers.

I know it moves net profits to the bottom line of Oracle Corporation, and will help Larry compete in the America's Cup, but this is just preposterous. What we need is internships not nit-picking tests.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Sep 27 2002 - 11:28:54 CDT