Re: Oracle 9i behind a NAT w/SSH

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 00:58:28 +0200

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 22:27:21 GMT, "Mike Pontillo" <mike_pontillo_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Greetings,
>
> To make a long story short, I need to find a way to access an Oracle 9i
>database from behind a firewall. (To make matters worse, over an SSH
>tunnel.)
>
> We have an Oracle 9 DB server connected behind a Linksys broadband router
>using NAT. We've got an SSH daemon running on the server, and what we
>planned to do was use SSH to forward the ports we needed to make database
>connections. I've forwarded port 1521 from the server to local port 1521 on
>my client machine. However, I still get a "TNS: No listener" error back from
>Oracle.
>
> After doing some searching on google, I found out that the listener makes
>a connection back to the client computer on a port that is essentially
>random. I need to know if there is a way to make this fixed per client, so
>that I can know which ports to forward back from the remote machine, to the
>local machine. Does anyone know if this is possible?
>
>Regards,
>Mike Pontillo

The resolution has been posted several times, so your google search should have turned it up.
Either use

- a sqlnet proxy provided with the firewall
- or use_shared_sockets = true in the service registry or as env var
- or set up mts
- or set up connection manager

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Sep 26 2002 - 17:58:28 CDT